Three Common Indications That You Need Electrical Repair

Just like all other parts of your home, your electrical system can develop problems over time as it ages and experiences additional wear and tear. Knowing some of the signs associated with electrical issues in your home can make it easier for you to identify problems as they arise. This can allow you to get in touch with an electrician to have those issues fixed before they have the chance to grow more serious and cause substantial and expensive damage to your electrical system and your home in general.

Breaker Issues

One of the most common electrical issues that you are likely to experience at some point is a tripped breaker, which happens when too much power is being drawn from your home's electrical system. The breaker in your breaker box will switch off and cut off the flow of power to prevent damage to your appliances and avoid potential electrical fires. This is supposed to happen to prevent power surges from damaging your electrical system as well. However, if you find that your breaker is tripping consistently, you may need to have the breaker replaced or have the wiring in your home upgraded to handle the electrical load that you are demanding from it.

Lighting Issues

You should also be conscious of the lightbulbs in your home, as they will exhibit a number of symptoms when your electrical system is in need of repair. The most common issues include dimming or flickering lights, especially if this occurs when other appliances turn on in your home. This indicates that your electrical wiring is not strong enough to handle the capacity that you are demanding from it, which can require new wiring to be installed. On the other hand, if you find that your lightbulbs are burning out extremely quickly — as in within a matter of weeks — your wiring may be damaged and be supplying more power than necessary, which will require repair as well.

Outlet and Switch Issues

Finally, you should also keep an eye on your electrical outlets and switches for signs of damage. Damaged wiring behind both can cause outlets and switches to throw out a significant amount of heat, and can also leave a lingering smell of burning that can sometimes come with discoloration of the surrounding wall. These are all indicative of electrical sparking, which you may also sometimes see, and is caused by old or damaged wiring and represents a real threat of an electrical fire. Avoid using these switches and outlets until they have been replaced.

If you think your home could use professional electrical repairs, call an electrical contractor for help today.

Share