Though it is best to use an electrical contractor whenever possible, you are allowed to perform some of your electrical work yourself. You will need to make sure that you follow building codes and that you take steps to avoid injuring yourself.
Contact the Permit Office
If you are unsure about whether you are able to perform a specific task yourself, you should contact your local permit office to make sure. Situations where this is often required include when you are installing or changing permanent wiring or an electrical appliance, when you are installing low-voltage systems and when you are adding a new electrical outlet or fixture.
Be Cautious About Performing Your Own Electrical Work
In most cases, homeowners are entitled to perform their own electrical work. However, what might seem like a simple task for a professional electrical contractor can be very challenging to an inexperienced layperson. Many electricians have to be hired to fix faulty wiring that was installed by an ambitious homeowner.
When improperly wired, electrical outlets can cause fires that will damage appliances, if the homeowner is lucky. If not, the fire might burn the whole house down. Even though you could potentially save a little money if you perform the work yourself, you are likely to cause a lot of damage to your home, which will end up costing you more. Even worse is if you suffer an electrical shock and now have to pay for your hospital bills.
Follow the Code
After you have performed the work yourself, you will have to make sure that it all passes an inspection. Therefore, you will want to research the current building codes so you can make sure that you are following the rules. If you have to redo your electrical work because you did not follow building codes, this is going to cost you more money in the long-term.
Take Safety Precautions
It does not take a lot of electricity to kill someone, so you will need to take as many safety precautions as possible when performing your own electrical work. You will need to turn the power off at the circuit breaker panel. You can then test to make sure the power is completely off by plugging something into the wall, such as a blow dryer. If you have to climb on a ladder when performing electrical work, make sure that you always use a fiberglass ladder. Aluminum ladders are conductive and can give you a major shock.
For more information, contact B Electric Inc. or a similar company.Share